Venipedia®

 Night image of the Napoleonic wing.

Ala Napoleonica or Procuratie Nuovissime

The derogatory name of ‘Napoleonic Wing’ derives from the decision of Bonaparte to demolish the church of San Geminiano (a very old place of worship which was rebuilt in the XVI century by Jacopo Sansovino) in favor of...

Enciclopedia

Fontego dei Tedeschi

The Fontego (Fondaco in Italian) has the nickname "of the Germans" to encompass all merchants from the Nordic countries. As was the case with the Turks, given the growth of this community, the Senate decreed the...

Enciclopedia

Fontego dei Turchi

The façade is hinged between two turrets and has a porticoed ground floor for access to the water, one of the largest in Venice and second only to that of Palazzo Ducale; this characteristic and common feature of the...

Enciclopedia

Palazzo Barbaro

Located near Palazzo Franchetti, this residence is made up of two side-by-side buildings, Palazzo Barbaro Curtis and Palazzo Barbaro in Santo Stefano. The oldest was built on a design by Giovanni Bon in 1425 and was...

Enciclopedia

Venezia, 1969 / Paolo Monti. - Strisce: 4, Fotogrammi complessivi: 17 : Negativo b/n, gelatina bromuro d'argento/ pellicola ; 35 mm.

Palazzo Da Mula

Palazzo da Mula, with an exquisitely 16th century appearance, actually dates back to the 12th century and certainly underwent numerous alterations during its long existence.  The names of those who contributed...

Enciclopedia

Detail of the facade of the Palazzo del Consiglio in Torcello — (Archive Bazzmann/Venipedia)

Palazzo del Consiglio

The Palazzo del Consiglio is a building of very ancient origins which has undergone numerous alterations over the centuries, all of which came to light during the restoration of the site in the 1870s. Not far from the...

Enciclopedia

Palace of the Libreria Sansoviniana

Palazzo della Libreria Sansoviniana

The construction of the palace for the Public Library was began by Jacopo Sansovino in 1537 under the orders of the Doge Andrea Gritti, in an area that was previously occupied by market stalls and lodgings. The ‘...

Enciclopedia

Ancient image of Piazza San Marco.

Palazzo della Zecca

The Mint was where the coins of the Republic were minted and the treasure of the State and individual’s deposits were kept. The building, located in Piazza San Marco since the second half of the 13th century, was...

Enciclopedia

Palazzo dell’Archivio

The Palazzo dell’Archivio of Torcello is of ancient origins, it was bought in 1887 by Cesare Augusto Levi with the aim of turning it into a place for collecting historical and artistic material of the island, alongside...

Enciclopedia

Palazzo Ducale

Palazzo Ducale

The Palazzo Ducale was erected in the IX century, initially as a castle that was then radically transformed in the years 1172-1178. Later, from the XIV century until 1463, the construction was repeatedly modified and...

Enciclopedia

Facade of the Palace of the Bishops of Torcello, along Fondamenta Marco Giustinian.

Palazzo Giustiniani or dei Vescovi di Torcello

The present building dates back to the 17th century, but its construction is based on a previous edifice dating back to the late Gothic period, as evidenced by some architectural elements such as the 15th century...

Enciclopedia

Palazzo Patriarcale

The building represents the seat of the Patriarchy of Venice and is positioned to the side of the St. Mark's Basilica, overlooking the Piazzetta dei Leoncini. New headquarters for the Patriarchate (which had been...

Enciclopedia

Procuratie nuove

Procuratie Nuove

The project conceived by Vincenzo Scamozzi involved the extension of the St Mark’s library (from which it takes some design guidelines) in order to create new offices for the procurators of San Marco. Work began in...

Enciclopedia

Procuratie Vecchie

The Procuratie Vecchie acted both as the offices and residence of the nine Procurators of St Mark, the second highest position of the Republic. The complex starts from Torre dell’Orologio (the Clock Tower, made from...

Enciclopedia

Scuola Grande of San Fantin.

Scuola Grande di San Fantin

The origins of the school are not known precisely, but the school dates back to 1471, the year in which two confraternities took up residence: that of San Gerolamo and that of Santa Maria della Giustizia (Mariegola ‘...

Enciclopedia

The sign of the Scuola Grande of San Rocco

Scuola Grande di San Rocco

The school was built near the Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari church to the wishes of the confraternity, who found that the little school (scoletta) built by Bartolomeo Bon in 1489 had become inadequate. The...

Enciclopedia

Detail of the main facade of the castle of Thiene (Marco Trevisan, Bazzmann / Venipedia)

Thiene Castle

Palazzo Porto-Colleoni-Thiene, commonly known under the name of Castello di Thiene, was built in 1450 at the behest of Francesco Porto, a member of one of the wealthiest families in the Vicenza area, for the storage of...

Enciclopedia

The Clock Tower

Torre dell'Orologio

Located to the right of the St Mark’s Basilica and overlooking the lagoon, the Clock tower was once the entrance door to the Mercerie, an area for all types of trading that led up to Rialto, the banking center...

Enciclopedia