Venipedia®

Palace Pisani at Santo Stefano

Majestic white Istrian stone facade that almost entirely occupies the small Pisani square. It owes its name to the family who lived there starting from the seventeenth century and who already resided in Campo Santo...

Enciclopedia

Palace Pisani Moretta

The palace was built in the second half of the fifteenth century, at the behest of the Bembo family who subsequently worked on its structure until it became the one we currently know. The place is characterized by...

Enciclopedia

Palace Priuli Manfrin

Ca' Priuli Manfrin, which takes its name from two of the most important families who lived there, is located in the Cannaregio district, at the foot of the Guglie bridge, in fondamenta Venier. Its foundation dates...

Enciclopedia

Palace Querini Stampalia

The name Stampalia refers to the homonymous Greek island located in the Sporades archipelago. It is said that a member of the Querini family of the Zuane branch was banished from Venice because he was involved in...

Enciclopedia

Palace Venier dei Leoni

The construction was commissioned by the powerful and wealthy Venier family (who donated 3 doges to Venice) and was designed by the architect Lorenzo Boschetti in 1748, of which a wooden model can now be seen at the...

Enciclopedia

Palazzetto Bru Zane

The Palazzetto Bru Zane was built in 1695 at the behest of Marino Zane a few meters from the family residence, Palazzo Zane; this manor house was renovated by Baldassare Longhena in 1665 on the decision of Domenico...

Enciclopedia

Palazzo Balbi

Nicolò Balbi had this palace built by the architect and sculptor Alessandro Vittoria who moved from Trento to Venice on purpose in Sansovino's workshop and finished the works in 8 years (1582 - 1590): the final result...

Enciclopedia

Palazzo Barbaro

Located near Palazzo Franchetti, this residence is made up of two side-by-side buildings, Palazzo Barbaro Curtis and Palazzo Barbaro in Santo Stefano. The oldest was built on a design by Giovanni Bon in 1425 and was...

Enciclopedia

Venezia, 1969 / Paolo Monti. - Strisce: 4, Fotogrammi complessivi: 17 : Negativo b/n, gelatina bromuro d'argento/ pellicola ; 35 mm.

Palazzo Da Mula

Palazzo da Mula, with an exquisitely 16th century appearance, actually dates back to the 12th century and certainly underwent numerous alterations during its long existence.  The names of those who contributed...

Enciclopedia

Detail of the facade of the Palazzo del Consiglio in Torcello — (Archive Bazzmann/Venipedia)

Palazzo del Consiglio

The Palazzo del Consiglio is a building of very ancient origins which has undergone numerous alterations over the centuries, all of which came to light during the restoration of the site in the 1870s. Not far from the...

Enciclopedia

Palace of the Libreria Sansoviniana

Palazzo della Libreria Sansoviniana

The construction of the palace for the Public Library was began by Jacopo Sansovino in 1537 under the orders of the Doge Andrea Gritti, in an area that was previously occupied by market stalls and lodgings. The ‘...

Enciclopedia

Ancient image of Piazza San Marco.

Palazzo della Zecca

The Mint was where the coins of the Republic were minted and the treasure of the State and individual’s deposits were kept. The building, located in Piazza San Marco since the second half of the 13th century, was...

Enciclopedia

Palazzo dell’Archivio

The Palazzo dell’Archivio of Torcello is of ancient origins, it was bought in 1887 by Cesare Augusto Levi with the aim of turning it into a place for collecting historical and artistic material of the island, alongside...

Enciclopedia

Palazzo Ducale

Palazzo Ducale

The Palazzo Ducale was erected in the IX century, initially as a castle that was then radically transformed in the years 1172-1178. Later, from the XIV century until 1463, the construction was repeatedly modified and...

Enciclopedia

Facade of the Palace of the Bishops of Torcello, along Fondamenta Marco Giustinian.

Palazzo Giustiniani or dei Vescovi di Torcello

The present building dates back to the 17th century, but its construction is based on a previous edifice dating back to the late Gothic period, as evidenced by some architectural elements such as the 15th century...

Enciclopedia

Palazzo Grassi

In order to erect a direction worthy of family prestige, Zuanne and Angelo Grassi acquired over the years several properties in the area between the Grand Canal and Campo San Samuele. The works began around 1748,...

Enciclopedia

Palazzo Patriarcale

The building represents the seat of the Patriarchy of Venice and is positioned to the side of the St. Mark's Basilica, overlooking the Piazzetta dei Leoncini. New headquarters for the Patriarchate (which had been...

Enciclopedia

Procuratie nuove

Procuratie Nuove

The project conceived by Vincenzo Scamozzi involved the extension of the St Mark’s library (from which it takes some design guidelines) in order to create new offices for the procurators of San Marco. Work began in...

Enciclopedia

Procuratie Vecchie

The Procuratie Vecchie acted both as the offices and residence of the nine Procurators of St Mark, the second highest position of the Republic. The complex starts from Torre dell’Orologio (the Clock Tower, made from...

Enciclopedia

Punta della Dogana

In Venice, all goods were unloaded and placed on the scales in San Biagio di Castello. However, due to the large turnout, the space became insufficient and from 1414 two customs offices were used, built specifically...

Enciclopedia

Scoletta dell’Arte dei Tiraoro e Battioro

The Scoletta dell'Arte dei Tiraoro and Battioro, or School of Tiraoro and Battioro, was established on January 2, 1420 as the headquarters of the Guild of craftsmen specialized in the manufacture of gold threads and...

Enciclopedia

Scuola Grande of San Fantin.

Scuola Grande di San Fantin

The origins of the school are not known precisely, but the school dates back to 1471, the year in which two confraternities took up residence: that of San Gerolamo and that of Santa Maria della Giustizia (Mariegola ‘...

Enciclopedia

Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista

Founded in 1261, in the church of Sant'Apollinare, by the brotherhood devoted to San Giovanni Evangelista, in 1414 the old hospice for needy women by the Badoer family was purchased and restored to provide the...

Enciclopedia

Scuola Grande di San Marco

It is one of the eight Great Schools of Venice and takes its name from the devotional Confraternity of San Marco. Originally this brotherhood was based in what was once the church of Santa Croce. The transfer took...

Enciclopedia