In 1806, in the Napoleonic era, the Fontego lost its function as a building dedicated to commercial activities and the property was transferred to the state property. The building first became the land customs office, to then house the military offices of Austria, the tax office and finally the post office, which began to settle at the end of the nineteenth century.
The Fontego underwent a series of changes in the nineteenth century: in 1836 the turrets facing the Grand Canal and the bell-shaped chimneys, still visible in the engraving by Michele Marieschi, were demolished in 1836, probably for reasons related to the statics of the building. Fondaco dei Tedeschi.
A first covering of the courtyard was also built consisting of a heavy iron and glass structure.
In 1925 the building was bought by the Post and Telegraph administration which used it as the seat of their offices. The works were started between 1929 and 1933 and completed in 1938.
The factory showed tangible signs of structural suffering determined partly by the age of the building and partly due to the numerous alterations made over time for individual reasons such as opening and closing of doors and windows on load-bearing structures, construction and demolition of pipes flues. The skylight was replaced with a flat curtain with opaque glass, the service systems were added, the load-bearing walls partially damaged and the steps in Istrian stone replaced.
In 2008 the state property sold the building to a private entrepreneur who presented a project for the transformation of the building into a shopping center.