The complete refurbishment of the building took place in 1341. Over time, based on the changed commercial needs, the Fontego underwent some extensions in 1372, through the purchase of adjacent buildings, including a house belonging to the Polani family.
In 1423-1424 the building expanded again after the German merchants complained about the lack of space to be able to carry out their business also due to the increased volume of commercial traffic. The partial refurbishment had to widely involve the internal environments, in particular the lodgings and the meeting rooms of the merchants.
Of the appearance of this building, prior to the radical refurbishment of 1508, we have evidence in the painting by Vittore Carpaccio Miracle of the relic of the Cross in Rialto dating back to 1494 and preserved in the Gallerie dell'Accademia in Venice and in the famous view of Venice in flight bird by Jacopo de 'Barbari, dated 1500.
The Fontego consisted of two clearly distinct building units, even if merged, and of a series of smaller aggregations, articulated around more adjacent courtyards, one of which is characterized by the internal loggia.
The old building continued to exist, with partial modifications, additions and adaptations, which did not substantially alter the architectural structure, until January 1505 when in the night between 27 and 28 January, a fire evidently fueled by the inflammable material collected in the rooms and in the warehouses and the wooden parts of the building they largely caused its destruction.
The Serenissima, which owned it, quickly provided for the reconstruction because it was not possible to leave Venice for too long without the important mercantile emporium.