On the death of Giovanni Querini Stampalia in 1869, the then scientific foundation obtained the property of Palazzo Querini Stampalia, which was the home of the deceased, as a testamentary bequest.
With the Royal Decree of Vittorio Emanuele II and thanks to the generosity of Count Giovanni, on June 21, 1869, what will be the current Querini Stampalia Foundation, in all its entirety, was born.
The museum still preserves the furnishings of the ancient Querinian house as well as the important artistic heritage accumulated by its tenants over the course of history. The picture gallery (located on the second floor) constitutes an important part of the museum and can count about 400 canvases made by both artists representing the Flemish and Venetian schools par excellence (Giovanni Bellini, Jacopo Palma il Vecchio, Giambattista Tiepolo and others) . Over the years the heritage has been expanded through the acquisition of contemporary works of art, also thanks to the various activities of the foundation linked to this item (including the "FURLA per arte" competition dedicated to Italian artists emerging).
The ground floor area is the result of restoration work carried out between 1959 and 1963 under the direction of Carlo Scarpa (also author of the courtyard design).