Venipedia®

Encyclopedia • folio

Ca' d'Oro

This majestic palace that overlooks the Grand Canal was built, by the will of the merchant Marino Contarini, between 1421 and 1443. It seems that numerous artists took to the realization such as Matteo Raverti, master...

Ca' Farsetti

The construction of the current seat of the city hall of Venice is attested between the twelfth and thirteenth centuries: tradition attributes Ca 'Farsetti as the home of Enrico Dandolo, Doge and leader during the...

Ca' Foscari

The palace, built in 1453 at the behest of Doge Francesco Foscari, is now the seat of the Ca 'Foscari University of Venice. It is located "in the vault of the Canal", the widest bend of the Grand Canal and enjoys an...

Ca' Pesaro

The construction, commissioned by Giovanni Pesaro, one of the exponents of the noble family of the same name, was entrusted to Baldassarre Longhena. The works began in 1652 and ended in 1710 under the direction of...

Ca' Rezzonico

The building was started by the well-known architect Baldassare Longhena at the request of the Bon family who underestimated the expenses to invest every single fund in it; despite their efforts, after a certain period...

Campanile della Valverde o di Sant'Angelo

The fourteenth-century bell tower of Valverde or Sant 'Angelo is located in the north-eastern area of ​​the island of Mazzorbo, where once there was a religious complex of considerable size, a witness that survived the...

Campanile di San Marco

St Mark’s Bell Tower, the highest building in Venice, is located in front of the St Mark’s Basilica, in front of the corner of the Sansovino Library. The base is a square...

Campanile di Santa Caterina

There are no certain sources on the dating of the bell tower of Santa Caterina but its architectural characteristics attribute it to the fourteenth century, as well as one of its bells. Before the Benedictine monastery...

Campiello del Volto Santo

Traveling along Strada Nova towards Rialto - in the San Marcuola district and immediately after the bridge named after an icon depicting the Blessed Virgin - you come across this small field on the left,...

The Campiello delle Scuole

Campiello delle Scuole

The Campiello owes its name to the presence the Sephardi and Levantine synagogues. The Jewish Community of Venice preferes the name ​schole​, that is ​schools​, for the synagogues, a term used throughout Europe since...

The Frari's field

Campo dei Frari

The Friars Minor of the order of San Francesco (precisely called Frari), arrived in Venice in the thirteenth century (sources attest to its presence between 1222 and 1227). They lived on alms or practiced humble...

The Campo of the Ghetto Nuovo

Campo del Ghetto Nuovo

The extensive campo is surrounded by: a set of bas-reliefs dedicated to the Shoah, the Jewish retirement home, two kosher restaurants, another bas-relief in memory of the Shoah, a study room for the biblical texts of...