This bridge is, together with those of Rialto, of the Accademia and the recent one of the Constitution, one of the four bridges that cross the Grand Canal.
Its name derives from its proximity to the church of the same name while its construction was made necessary by the inauguration of the railway station in 1846, as a connection to San Polo, Rialto, Santa Margherita (also called the station or railway bridge). .
A few years later this bridge was built by Alfred Neville, along the lines of that of the Academy (also the entrepreneur who took care of the work was the same) in cast iron with a rectilinear structure; certainly, it was not aesthetically appealing but on its side it had the speed of realization and low costs.
But it soon began to show the first signs of structural failure, so in 1932 work was started to create one in stone as per Eugenio Miozzi's project.
Two years later, the new bridge was inaugurated (October 28, 1934) and this time made entirely of Istrian stone, a single arch, giving it a sense of lightness, sinuosity and elegance.