The book collection was born in 1812, together with the Ateneo Veneto. The original nucleus was made up of funds belonging to the Venetian Literary Academy, the Venetian Society of Medicine and the Accademia dei Filareti, merged with decree no. 310 of December 25, 1810.
The collection was elevated to the rank of "library" in reality only in 1895, by the hand of the then president Paulo Fambri because throughout the nineteenth century, greater prominence had been given to magazines, that is to the Reading Cabinet, while the precious book it was considered second-rate.
Thanks above all to a grant from the Ministry for Cultural Heritage, in the 1960s, the paper catalog by author and the subject book of Venetian material were composed, where 5,000 entries - subjects of Venetian and Venetian material were included in the latter. The book material - after having placed the deposit with an important restoration operation - was placed in special metal shelves.
Since 2007, the library has joined the National Cataloging Service (SEBINA) for recent accessions and has taken steps to recover ancient collections and miscellaneous collections.
Over the course of the twentieth century, the collection was further increased by important legal, historical, humanistic and / or general (mostly nineteenth-century) collections, thanks to donations and bequests from members and illustrious scholars such as - to name just a few - Franceschinis-Sacerdoti, Occioni-Bonaffons, Cipollato, Bosisio, Marconi, Venetian Writers Association etc.
The Del Torre collection has recently been acquired, consisting of about a thousand pamphlets and books on Venetian matters, particularly relating to agricultural, social, fiscal and ecclesiastical history.
The library patrimony consists of about 50,000 volumes classified in various subjects - mostly humanistic, historical, artistic, scientific - of which 3,000 are part of the historical archive. There are also 16,000 Miscellaneous / Brochures on Venetian and Triveneto material and 680 (of which about 200 current) periodicals, whose titles can be found in the Catalog of periodicals of the University of Veneto library, published by the institute in 2004.
The historical archive of the Ateneo Veneto
The historical section of the University archive is kept in the deposit together with the Library, i.e. the documents produced by the institution in its first 150 years, from 1812 to 1960 approximately. There are 108 folders or envelopes to which are added the series of the registers of the minutes of the Academic Body, the Academic Council and the Presidency sessions, the minutes of the Academic Readings and the General Protocol. The section also includes 6 folders which keep the previous documents left over from the three cultural academies from which the University was born (arts, letters and medicine). There is also an envelope with personal documentation of Francesco Aglietti, purchased in the years around 1839 by Giandomenico Nardo directly from Aglietti's widow.
The Institute, since its inception, has kept its records - albeit discontinuously - both for natural factors of reduction of activity and for other random reasons. For example, during the period of the First World War, the institution contracted to the point of almost disappearing when, with the Caporetto route, most of the members fled from Venice.
The first organization of the documented archive is that made in 1839 by Neu Mayer. He divided the acts from 1791 to 1839 into three sections (from 1791 to 1811, from 1811 to 1839 and from 1839 onwards) which are in turn divided inside in alphabetical order. When De Kiriaki - the new Academic Secretary - took over, he arranged to coordinate the proceedings by subject, according to a logical order, indicating the assigned subjects in a special column. In addition, he compiled a chronological list of all the works read or presented to the University from its origins until 1885, together with the list of corporate offices and members.
Finally, in the assembly of 22 December 1906 it was decided to appoint an archive expert for a new reorganization of the documents; on 22 June 1911 the activity was entrusted to Andrea da Mosto, a partner of the University and future director of the State Archives of Venice, who devised a more organic system for the conservation of documents, still partially in force today.
The last work of arranging the archive papers was carried out between 1996 and 1998, archived following the title identified by da Mosto, which remains - albeit with the necessary changes - still adhering to the activity carried out by the institute.