The Friars Minor of the order of San Francesco (precisely called Frari), arrived in Venice in the thirteenth century (sources attest to its presence between 1222 and 1227).
They lived on alms or practiced humble jobs and it seems that initially they were mainly hosted in the churches of San Lorenzo and San Silvestro. Their exponential growth meant that in the first place he was granted a permanent residence (an ancient abandoned abbey of the Benedictine order votive to the Virgin Mary) and later in 1236 a larger area between the area of San Stin and San Tomà called Badoer Lake (due to the presence of a swimming pool near the Rio di San Stin). Afterwards what would be their definitive seat would arise, that is the basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari.
The main buildings of this field are due to their work: in addition to the basilica, the school (even if the same friars, dissatisfied with the school, built the Scuola Grande di San Rocco) and the Convent (now the State Archive), the two bridges which connect the foundation of the same name, as well as the imposing bell tower erected in 1360 alongside which stands a well.