There are no certain sources on the dating of the bell tower of Santa Caterina but its architectural characteristics attribute it to the fourteenth century, as well as one of its bells. Before the Benedictine monastery was demolished, its walls leaned against those of the tower.
The bell tower has been remodeled several times due to bad weather: in 1762 thanks to the will of a nun, in 1910 at the behest of the parish priest Don Giuseppe Camozzo, in 1987 thanks to the will of Monsignor Ettore Fornezza and finally in 2016 thanks to the interest of the parish priest Don Enzo Piasentin.
Currently the bell tower retains three bells. One of these, characterized by an elongated shape typically in Byzantine style, stands out for being the oldest bell in Venice: it is dated 1318 and is one of the oldest in Europe.
The precious bell comes from the parish of Sant'Angelo - of which only the bell tower remains - before the religious complex was suppressed by Napoleon in the nineteenth century. Currently, for safety reasons, the bells are rung through an electrical system while once manually and the original knockers - exhibited in the cloister of the Church of Santa Caterina - have been replaced by others in bronze of German style.
The oldest bell - which in 2018 celebrated its first 700 years - is defined by some as even magical: its extraordinary nature is linked to the materials with which it was built - bronze, gold and silver - which have the power to keep away the lightning.