Venipedia

Even today, one can sense the enormous power and profound respect that this place has: it was here that the offices of the authoritative Procurators of San Marco, who covered the important role of administering the territories of the Basilica, were located during the Serenissima. 

It is currently the seat of various artistic and cultural institutions, including the National Archaeological Museum.

Tell me more

The project conceived by Vincenzo Scamozzi involved the extension of the St Mark’s library (from which it takes some design guidelines) in order to create new offices for the procurators of San Marco. Work began in 1582, after the demolition of some old buildings, including the Ospizio Orseolo. The works were then halted in 1616 upon the death of the designer, and later taken up again in the 17th century under the direction of Baldassare Longhena. The building was finished in 1640, although some works to pave the arcades were carried out in 1740. 

After the fall of the Republic this place became a real center of power for the dominant forces of the area, first with the Napoleonic domination, during which it became the seat of the Royal Palace of Napoleon Bonaparte. It was enlarged during this period building to allow for the construction of the Grand Ballroom and the central staircase, all at the expense of the church of San Geminiano (Sansovino) that was demolished.

The Austrians later became tennents, first in under Count Pàlffy, then the Emperor Franz Joseph and his wife were ‘welcomed’ after the brief revolutionary period in 1848. With the advent of the Kingdom of Italy it became the residence of the royals Vittorio Emanuele II and Vittorio Emanuele III.

The inside of the Procuratie Nuove currently hold headquarters and offices of different institutions and authorities related to art and culture, among them the Correr Museum and the Museums of Veneto.

Under its arcades, near the base of the St Mark’s Bell Tower, is the renowned Caffè Florian.

Images gallery

Procuratie nuove
The facade of the Procuratie Nuove apposite the Palazzo Ducale

Read also