Venipedia®

Encyclopedia • folio

The feast of San Rocco, Canaletto (Wikimedia Commons)

Campo San Rocco

Campo San Rocco is one of the few fields that is not crossed or bordered by a canal. The field is enclosed between the Church, the School and the Scoletta di San Rocco and the apse of the Basilica of Santa Maria...

Campo San Stae photographed from the vaporetto — (Venipedia/Bazzmann)

Campo San Stae

The founding element of this field is certainly the Church of San Stae which is said to have been built before the year 1000 even if the first official sources date back to 1127. The place of worship, which during its...

San Zaccaria field — (Venipedia/Bazzmann)

Campo San Zaccaria

The entrance to the field in the direction of San Provolo is noteworthy for its late-Gothic portal (built by the Bon school), decorated with bas-reliefs depicting San Zaccaria (above) and the Virgin and Child flanked...

View of Campo Sant'Agnese on the well — (Venipedia/Bazzmann)

Campo Sant'Agnese

Campo Sant'Agnese, as happens for most of the Venetian fields, takes its name from the adjacent place of worship dedicated to the patron saint of young women and gardeners. The sixteenth-century well from the field is...

Campo Sant'Alvise in all its beauty. — (Venipedia/Bazzmann)

Campo Sant'Alvise

The field takes its name from the adjoining church dedicated to the saint Luigi Ludovico d'Angiò, in Venice called Alvise which, according to tradition, in the 16th century the Venetian noblewoman Antonia Venier saw in...

View on Santa Margherita fiel — (Venipedia/Bazzmann Archive)

Campo Santa Margherita

Almost rectangular in shape, Campo Santa Margherita takes its name from the church of the same name, now deconsecrated and used as the Auditorium of the Ca 'Foscari University, which closes the north-eastern end of the...

The field from the church — (Venipedia/Bazzmann Archive)

Campo Santa Maria Formosa

The Campo di Santa Maria Formosa is one of the largest in Venice and is located on the border between the San Marco and Castello districts. In the past it was one of the major centers in the eastern part of Venice,...

A part of the SS. Giovanni and Paolo — (Venipedia/Bazzmann)

Campo Santi Giovanni e Paolo

The area initially had sandbanks or swampy areas, so much so that the northern lagoon border was located about where the Scuola Grande di San Marco is located today. In 1234, under the dogado of Jacopo Tiepolo, the...

View on Campo Santo Stefano from the entrance of the field by Palazzo Franchetti — (Bazzmann/Venipedia)

Campo Santo Stefano

It is certainly one of the largest and most spacious fields in the city, at the center of which stands the monument dedicated to Niccolò Tommaseo - a man of culture and academician of the Bran from 1866, also known in...

Canal Grande or Canale Ponterosso

In the heart of the Borgo Teresiano of Trieste, halfway between the Central Station and Piazza Unità, there is a stretch of water that bears the name of Canal Grande, also known as Canale Ponterosso. Designed and...

Canale della Giudecca

It is on this expanse that all the large cruise ships arriving in Venice pass (more than two million passengers a year), including the ferry boats that pass cars from the mainland to the Lido of Venice and Punta...

The Scalzi church.

Cannaregio

The Cannaregio sestiere, the most populated in Venice, is located north-west of the city and is crossed by long and parallel canals. In all probability its name derives from a crippling of the term "Cannarecium", a...