Large field that houses the homonymous church of Santa Maria Formosa dedicated to the Virgin and the original 40-meter bell tower.
In the past, in this place, on the day of the Purification of the Virgin Mary, the feast de le Marie was celebrated with which the liberation by a group of valiant Venetians of twelve captive girls of the Istrian pirates was remembered. For some years, the event in Piazza San Marco has been recalled during the Venice Carnival.
Tell me more
The Campo di Santa Maria Formosa is one of the largest in Venice and is located on the border between the San Marco and Castello districts.
In the past it was one of the major centers in the eastern part of Venice, both at a civil level due to its proximity to San Marco and therefore to the political and administrative area par excellence, and at a religious level due to the ancient church that gives its name to the field.
In addition to the church, many buildings of different interest are concentrated in terms of stylistic evolution; among the most renowned are the three Palaces Donà, Palazzo Vitturi, Palazzo Querini Stampalia (home of the famous museum) and Palazzo Grimani.
Next to the house number 6126 there is a building dating back to the second half of the fifteenth century, on whose facade there is a commemorative plaque dedicated to Sebastiano Venier, general from the sea of the Venetian fleet, hero of the battle of Lepanto in 1571 and at the end of his life Doge (he was eighty-one years old when he was elected).
One of the historical events concerning this field was the feast of Marie or de le Marie de tole as it was renamed in 1349; this popular festival lasted for several days during the year thanks to the pomp and lust that was conferred on it, so much so that a special judiciary was instituted first and then in 1380 all celebrations were abolished except for the Doge's visit to the church.