Magical place overlooking the Grand Canal, the main Venetian waterway.
The imposing white facade of the Church of San Stae and the minute red building, home of the Tiraoro and Battioro school, are the two predominant elements of the field dedicated to Eustachio, patron saint of hunters and gamekeepers.
Tell me more
The founding element of this field is certainly the Church of San Stae which is said to have been built before the year 1000 even if the first official sources date back to 1127. The place of worship, which during its existence underwent numerous modifications, also represented the home to numerous schools, the most important probably was that of the Blessed Sacrament which lived between 1511 and 1681 and financed the restoration of a chapel. The magnificent facade decorated in Rococo style was built by Domenico Rossi in the eighteenth century, thanks to the substantial testamentary bequest of Doge Alvise II Mocenigo. On the outside, the three statues positioned on the tympanum stand out: the Redeemer in the center, the Faith and Hope on its sides, the work of Antonio Corradini while the Cherub in keystone does not go unnoticed on the entrance portal.
In addition to the church, in Campo San Stae there is the bell tower built between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, while maintaining some original elements of the thirteenth century tower, in particular the sculpture depicting an angel, placed above the portal of the current structure, and a well of the mid-18th century which, for a certain period of time, was accompanied by another identical cistern.
Impossible not to notice, the slightly backward construction and minor features compared to the church, which as can be read from the external writing housed the School of the Tiraoro and Battioro.
Widening the field of action of the field, one finds, beyond the Rio Mocenigo, Palazzo Foscarini Giovanelli built in the second half of the sixteenth century at the behest of the family of Bergamo jewelers Coccina and shortly thereafter sold to the important descendant who dealt with the art of printing Luca Antonio Giunta. The marriage between two girls of the Giunta dynasty, Lucrezia and Bianca, in 1625 with two members of the Foscarini family, the brothers Nicolò and Renier, led the latter to reside in the palace until the next transfer to Palazzo dei Carmini more than a century later. Once in the new residence, the Palazzo was rented and entrusted to the Giovanelli, who came from Bergamo and already owned the sumptuous building in Santa Fosca. Mozart also stayed in this wonderful accommodation in 1771, a guest of the Giovannelli family, and in 1709 Federico Cristiano IV, king of Denmark.
Near the vaporetto pier of the San Stae stop, there is Palazzo Priuli Bon now an exhibition space while in front of the field stands Palazzo Barbarigo for its unusual facade frescoed by the artist Camillo Barbarigo while Palazzo Gussoni Grimani Dalla Vida, once also decorated externally even by Tintoretto, today it houses the Regional Administrative Court.