He was 60 years old when he came to office (born August 29, 1662), had never been married and was considered the hero of Dalmatia for his courage in the conquest of the Turkish fortress of Imotski (1717). However, as Doge, he was one of the continuers of the policy of unarmed neutrality proclaimed the Republic in the event of armed conflict.
During his dogado the pavement of St Mark’s Square was redone with slabs of trachyte rather than brick, the Bucintoro was rebuilt (1728) and a decree of the còdega was instituted, that allowed people without lights to be accompanied to their homes by a man with a lantern (for a fee).
It was he who ordered the two red Verona marble lions from the sculptor G. Bonazza for the newly created Piazzetta dei Leoni or Leoncini.
He died on the eve of the Festa della Sensa and was buried under a stone slab in the Church of S. Giovanni e Paolo (Castello).