Venipedia®

Arsenale

The term arsenal derives from the Arabic expression "darsina'a" (which mixes the words dock and shipyard), subsequently modified into the Venetian form "darzanà" (from which the Dante coining "arzanà" derives), "...

Enciclopedia

Castle of San Sebastián

The Castle of San Sebastián is located on a small island which, according to the classical tradition, in ancient times already housed the Phoenician temple of Moloch (ancient Canaanite deity, to which human victims...

Enciclopedia

Cimitero di San Michele

Before the arrival of Napoleon Bonaparte, the deceased Venetians were buried adjacent to the parish church they belonged to - as the nizioleti of campi and calli still remember today - and only benefactors and nobles...

Enciclopedia

Ex Tiro a Volo

The building, located next to the gallop, was erected in 1949 on a project by the architect Enrico Venturini and served to cover the guests of the pigeon shooting range from bad weather (today this discipline has been...

Enciclopedia

Ex-Fabbrica Junghans

In 1877, the first Italian watch factory was founded here, taken over in 1899 by the German Jughans. At the time, it was the largest watch factory in the world, with production reaching 1,500 watches per day in the...

Enciclopedia

Fondamenta Nuove Theatre (Headquarters of)

The Fondamenta Nuove theater is located right at the end of the homonymous foundation. It overlooks the North Lagoon of Venice. Small and characteristic building, its structure is made of wood and brick. Inside...

Enciclopedia

Former Guglielmo Pepe Barracks (formerly Quartier Grande dei Soldati, or Palazzo dei Soldati)

During the Serenissima era Quartier Grando, Casa dei Soldai - also known as Palazzo dei Soldati or Headquarters - home of the so-called Fanti da Mar whose direct descendants are today represented by the "Serenissima"...

Enciclopedia

Former Municipal Library of Mestre (Miranese)

It can be considered the first real seat of the Municipal Library of Mestre whose building was previously occupied by a glass factory; in 1994 it was purchased by the Municipality of Venice which used it as a library...

Enciclopedia

Gran Teatro la Fenice (Headquarters of)

In 1789 a competition was launched to establish the project for the new La Fenice theater. The architect Gianantonio Selva, who began directing the work from 1790, until its conclusion in 1792, was awarded the job (...

Enciclopedia

Hotel Excelsior

The Lido of Venice began to be a destination for seaside tourism starting from the second half of the nineteenth century, a time of important urbanization interventions that transformed the town inhabited by a few...

Enciclopedia

Santa Lucia railway station

Located in the westernmost point of the Grand Canal just before the Scalzi church, slightly set back to make room for a huge square, it is connected to the bus station (Piazzale Roma) through the recent Constitution...

Enciclopedia

Teatro Goldoni (Headquarters of)

Built in 1622, the theater has undergone numerous interventions in its long history. Erected by the will of the Vendramin family, it takes its name from this, although it is also known as Teatro San Luca or San...

Enciclopedia

Theatre of the Murata (Headquarters of)

The Teatro della Murata, founded with the name of Teatrino della Murata, is a space that hosts about 70 spectators. The theater was created from a warehouse in the center of Mestre. The building that houses the...

Enciclopedia

Toniolo Theatre (Headquarters of)

The theater arrived in Mestre at the end of the eighteenth century, thanks to the Balbi brothers and the Venetian architect Maccaruzzi. Finally Mestre, a holiday resort at the time, was enriched with a cultural space....

Enciclopedia

Torre Colombara

The Colombara Tower, near Forte Tron, dates back to the first half of the 19th century, is in neo-Gothic style and has a square plan structure with openings on all four sides. It has never been used as a place for...

Enciclopedia